Flowgeng by Flow DNA
Proudly made by Flow DNA, a pair of the ultimate S-staffs, Flowgeng.
Flow DNA is proud to present: Flowgeng! Handmade right here in South Africa. The result of 8 years of experimentation with S-Staffs and Buugeng.
Inspired by the shapes of buugeng and other S-staffs, our intention was to improve on all S-staff designs that came before, providing the perfect feeling of flow. Short enough to perform inside the arms, we made the curve such that it glides smoothly on a single path.
Performance props designed to create optical illusions, buugeng and S-staffs play on our persistence of vision to imitate motion blur (like the “rubber pencil illusion”) as if they are moving fast, but actually slow… Curves overlapping each other create interesting effects. Mesmerise your audience with our very own take on the S-staff! The unique cut-out pattern of Flowgeng creates an additional optical illusion of stripes along the path of motion.
Made from aviation grade birch plywood – Super strong, with rounded and smoothed edges that allow them to slide comfortably in your hand. The magnet connections are flat, while the center magnet allows for convenient folding and unfolding actions during a performance.
- Machine cut and hand-routed aviation-grade birch plywood shapes.
- Each staff is made of 2 pieces connected with 6 strong rare earth magnets. So a set consists of 4 pieces to create 2 staffs.
- Can be connected in different configurations, or collapsed for transport.
- Magnet in the middle of the handle for interesting configurations and explorations.
- Smoothly routed handles, to encourage sliding in a loose grip.
- Cut-out design for aesthetic illusions and opportunities for hooks, catches, and other experimental techniques.
- Lightweight for easy finger twirling.
- Finished with and eco-friendly shellac like a custom guitar.
- Length in S-Shape configuration: 83cm
- Length in collapsed configuration: 48cm
- Thickness: 9mm thick birch ply wood.
- Weight: 270g per staff.