Fire Fins – Fangeng by Flow DNA
R3,100.00 – R3,550.00
Fangeng with flames on them. They make some of the coolest fire prop visuals out there!
Machine cut, hand finished like a custom guitar, with braided wicks.
These were the first fire fins ever produced on a commercial level. They were iteratively designed and tested over 2 years to feel good while you play with them, and are almost certainly the most comfortable fin grips that you will have in your hands.
Sold as a pair
Please allow for 3-6 weeks for fabrication of backorders.
Originally inspired by a shape made by Brian Hirschberger that he named “FloFin®”, we looked at the ways that we could potentially improve on the design, and came up with what we call Fangeng. This is the fire version of our fins – Fire Fangeng.
We call them Fangeng because they’re they’re a combination of geng curves with fan handles on them. Like fans, but with fins on them. Instead of the Fibonacci spiral used in many other types of fins, we use a circle because it feels better for reasons. We also don’t have the small thumb-ring that other designs use for certain tech manipulations, because we felt that they interrupted the ability to gracefully perform weaves and turns. In order to provide the best possible performance in what we believe fins to feel best with, we have designed the perfect grip shape and balance for smooth flowing momentum techniques and no-beat tosses.
After over 2 years of design and beta testing, we iterated on the shape until we came up with something that feels as perfect as we can imagine for the way we like to spin our fins around.
- The same plaited knot wicks that we use on our Firegeng. The wicks cover the frame reducing exposed metal and heat radiation as much as possible.
- Large C-shaped flames, balancing the visual effect while still keeping the flames manageable.
- Optimised for extra long burn times of well over 5 minutes with paraffin and lamp oil, and 3+ minutes with white gas.
- The geng blade C-shape creates optical illusions in motion. Spinning in different directions creates different visual effects – forwards is “flowy” like a snake, while backwards is “spikey” like a claw.
- The feeling of spinning them is like “falling into” the forwards direction, or “jumping out of” the reverse direction.
- Single-piece aluminium frames covered by the wood for minimal exposed metal to reduce heat radiation.
- Wooden grips finished like a custom guitar for maximum comfort, using fire resistant sealants.
- The balance works well for swinging, spinning and juggling.*
- Made from engineering-quality materials. They can take a serious beating!*
- When you hold them together they make an S-shape like an S-staff!
- Russian-fan-style grips with a padded square shape optimised for the most comfortable starting and stopping positions.
- 89mm grip-rings for larger hands and more Russian-feels, or 76mm grip-ring for small hands and more contained feelings.
- Available with coloured handles – pearlescent paint is recommended 😉 (also you can add sparkles if you’re into that sort of thing)
* While this birch plywood will not break unless you try really hard, we do not recommend juggling on harsh surfaces like bricks and concrete, as the drops may cause chips and marks on your Finfangeng. Also juggling fire is dangerous. Also this is a weird shape to juggle.
- Grip material: 10mm (0.39″) aviation-grade birch plywood
- Frame material: Single piece of solid 6mm (0.236″) engineering aluminium.
- Length: 440mm (17.32″)
- Wick length: 250mm (9.84″)
- Width: 260mm (10.23″)
- Weight: +/- 315g (11.11oz) per Fangeng
PS – Slight adjustments have been made since we took photos and measurements. We will update these as soon as we can.
WARNING: THESE PROPS HAVE LARGE FLAMES AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED BY ADVANCED SPINNERS
ALWAYS LEARN YOUR SAFETY FIRST, AND DON’T FORGET TO BRING A TOWEL. PLEASE DO NOT DIP THE GRIPS INTO ANY FUEL.