Facehugger 6-wick Fire Tech Fans Beta by Flow DNA
R4,200.00 – R4,550.00
6-wick Facehugger fire fans designed and produced by Flow DNA. This is the beta version of something new that we’re trying to do.
Machine cut, hand finished, and hand-sewn wicks. Please allow for 3-6 weeks for fabrication of backorders.
Our 6-wick Fire Tech Fans, with wooden handles. Codenamed “Facehuggers” for their Gigeresque reminiscence of them cute little alien creatures we all love, as well as their design focus on arm-hugging inversions and folding tech.
This shape is an example of one of those times when a customer wants something enough to email us for what they want. Duncan designed these fans for one particular person who wanted to have 6-wick fire fans in our organic style with a gap between the front wicks so she would have space to do arm folds with them. Duncan also then discovered that he could add features like hooky-catchy tech vibes, and really liked what came out of it, so he decided to make this a standard option.
- Little Ring – 2-Finger-ish Uber-Box-Tech (Extra US-ish style) – 38mm (1.5″) grip ring
- Small Ring – 3-Finger-ish Box-Tech (US-ish style) – 51mm (2″) grip ring
- Medium Ring – 4-Finger-ish Hybrid-Tech (South African style) – 76mm (3″) ring
- Big Ring – Full-hand Momentum-Tech (Russian-ish style) – 89mm (3.5″) ring
- All options have a padded square handle shape
CHOOSING A GRIP STYLE:
(See demo image on “how to hold” for reference)
(AKA Extra-box-tech grip for USA styles)
We added these grips after realising that some extra-techy spinners really want to put their 2 fingers into smaller holes. If you’re one of those people, and you prefer to do boxy-techy things with a tighter fit for your 2 fingers, then these are the grips for you.
(AKA Box-tech grip for USA styles)
These are made to fit 3 fingers, or 2 large fingers.
If you like to perform box-techy manipulations that involve more jerky movements where you need to stall the fans at specific angles, then this is the grip for you.
(AKA Hybrid-tech grip for Jack-of-all styles)
These are made for 4 fingers, or 3 large fingers. Having more ring to hold on to is better for swinging/weaving techniques and tosses than the small-ring grips, while there is still enough flat handle space to hold onto for stalls and plane-switches. This grip is trying to be the best of both worlds.
If you prefer to spin your fans in a continuous flow, performing lots of weaves and fountains, or if you want to do a lot of tosses with your fans, then you want a nice big ring. A large hand-hole allows for wilder spinning momentum-tech movements, and is easier to catch in the air. Box-tech stalling and tutting/switching is less easy with this grip, but still possible, and the squared handle helps with that.
- 6 wicks made from 38mm (1.5″) high quality Kevlar, sewn with thread rather than screwed on, for minimal exposed metal.
- The gap between the middle wicks allows space for arm folding and inversion techniques.
- Bonus feature! You can hook, balance, and flip the middle wicks into the holes on the frame!! (not easy… possibly pointless… but super fun!!!)
- Wooden grips finished like a custom guitar for maximum comfort, using fire resistant sealants.
- Single-piece aluminium frames composited into the wooden grips.
- Frames Geometrically shaped for making box-grid techy patterns.
- Grips shaped for optimal finger placement, and layering at 90 degree increments.
- Weight balanced so the centre of mass matches with the centre of the Flow DNA logo.
- Side wicks aligned for wick balances, with the centre-of-mass directly between them.
- Middle wicks aligned directly forwards for wick-balancing both middle wicks together.
- Centre shaped for easier fishtails (careful though. The flames and metal gets hot. Wear gloves if you like fishtails)
- Flips and tosses become easier and more visually appealing with this centre-balanced design.*
- Made from engineering-quality materials. They can take a serious beating!*
- Available with coloured handles – pearlescent paint is recommended 😉 (also you can add sparkles if you’re into that sort of thing)**
* While this birch plywood will not break unless you try really hard, we do not recommend juggling on harsh surfaces like bricks and concrete, as the drops may cause chips and marks on your fans.
** If you order the “Add Colour” or “Extra Fancy” option, please message us to tell us what colours you’d like. Also please note that the lead-time fort custom paint jobs can be up to 2 months.
- Weight: +/- 405g (14.28oz) per fan
- Width: 585mm (23″)
- Length: 375mm (14.76″)
- Grip material: 10mm (3/8″) aviation-grade birch plywood
- Frame material: 6mm (1/4″) aluminium
- Wicks: 38mm (1.5″) Kevlar flat wick.
We make slight adjustments to the design with every iteration we make, so you might get something slightly different to the photos on this product page.
To help sponsor our development, besides buying our props, feel free to check out our Patreon campaign here: patreon.com/flowdna
For more info, check out the Flow DNA Design and Beta Testing Community on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/flowdnadesign
***** Very Important *****
Please do not dip your wooden handles into any fuel. It might mess up the luthiery-style finish. Use a dry cloth to clean it, if you accidentally spill on the handle.
Also please do not dip your hand-crafted custom guitars into any liquid. That would be silly.
Also also, do not hug your actual face with fire cos that could go very badly.